Seven Arizona-based software companies and six bio and life sciences startups have been named among the 25 semifinalists in the spring 2017 round of the Arizona Commerce Authority’s Arizona Innovation Challenge.
The bi-annual business plan competition for promising early-stage companies in high-growth industries will award $1.5 million this round to the most qualified, innovative startups.
Winners receive up to $250,000 each to grow their business to advance innovation and technology commercialization opportunities in the state.
“Arizona has become a hub for innovation and entrepreneurship – and programs like this help foster and retain talent right here in Arizona,” said Sandra Watson, president and CEO of the Arizona Commerce Authority. “Congratulations and best of luck to the semifinalists. I can’t wait to see their final pitches, and watch them grow in Arizona.”
Almost 150 applications were received for this spring round from companies across the state and one from California looking to relocate to Arizona.
Judges assessed each company application based on a set of criteria that looked at technology potential, marketing strategy, quality of management team and economic impact.
The 25 semifinalists are (listed in alphabetical order, including industry and base city):
- Attribytes Inc., IT - Software, Chandler
- BMSeed, Bio & Life Sciences, Phoenix
- ClickIPO, IT - Software, Scottsdale
- Codelucida, IT - Hardware, Tucson
- CuraNexus, IT - Software, Phoenix
- Cut Carbon, Advanced Manufacturing, San Diego, California
- Dataware Ventures LLC, IT - Software, Tucson
- Digital Bioanalytics Inc., Bio & Life Sciences, Phoenix
- Electric Torque Machines Inc., Advanced Manufacturing, Flagstaff
- EpiSys Science Inc., Aerospace/Defense, Tucson
- Hourbands Corp., Bio & Life Sciences, Tempe
- Hydronalix, Aerospace/Defense, Green Valley
- MWI Laboratories LLC, Aerospace/Defense, Tempe
- Naya Energy, Cleantech/Renewable Energy, Phoenix
- Paradigm Diagnostics, Bio & Life Sciences, Phoenix
- PerioEndoscopy LLC, Bio & Life Sciences, Scottsdale
- Photocentric Inc., Advanced Manufacturing, Phoenix
- Prospectify Inc., IT - Software, Tempe
- Recruiting.ai, IT - Software, Scottsdale
- Resonea Inc, Bio & Life Sciences, Scottsdale
- SalesTalk Technologies LLC, IT - Software, Scottsdale
- The TouchPoint Solution, IT - Hardware, Scottsdale
- Titan Industries, Advanced Manufacturing, Tempe
- VB Cosmetics Inc., Advanced Materials, Chandler
- Zero Mass Water Inc., Cleantech/Renewable Energy, Scottsdale
Hayley Ringle covers technology and startups for the Phoenix Business Journal.